Leafy turnip will also help reduce nitrogen leaching.
- Sowing rate: 5 kg/ha
- Frost tolerance: Good
- Biomass: Yields of 3-5 t DM, suitable as a forage crop
- Pests & diseases: Generally not a problem, but clubroot could become an issue if brassicas are used as a cover crop over a period of years
- The following table presents the full list of prescribed catch crops permitted within the GLAS scheme.
- For GLAS, a mixture of at least two crops from the prescribed list must be sowing.
- Catch crops must remain in place until after 1 December.
Ask an expert
Ask an expert if you would like any advice about grassland management.