Ask an expert
To learn more about Plantain seed or any of our agricultural grass seed mixtures, please ask a Germinal expert today.
Usage guide – Plantain
Plantain sowing rate: 1 kg/acre with 12 kg grass and clover (2.5 + 35 kg/ha)
Sowing time: April to mid-August, into warm soils (>10°C)
Sowing depth: 10 mm
Sow in well-drained soils. Control broad-leaved weeds before sowing. Cultivate to achieve a fine, firm seedbed. Ploughing will help level rough fields. Sow in good conditions (warm with rain forecast), no deeper than 10-15mm. Roll well after sowing to ensure good soil/ seed contact. N, P and K fertiliser requirements are similar to that of grass. Ensure optimum soil pH, P and K indices.
- Graze when the crop reaches a height of 10-15 cm and when plants are resistant to uprooting. Generally ready for grazing 8 weeks after sowing
- Rotationally graze for best results
- Ensure short, intensive periods of grazing with adequate recovery periods
- Ideally graze to a residual of 4cm
- In the second and subsequent years plant height must not exceed 25 cm to limit seed head development and maintain feed quality
- Ensure adequate N, P and K fertiliser is available to the plant
Uses: Dairy – Y; Cattle – Y; Sheep – Y